Thursday, December 10, 2020

Searching for Byron Kilbourn

Guest post by Jonathan Santiago

My experience of searching for primary sources was difficult in the beginning, but that is mainly because of what I had in mind for my primary source. This class provided me with very helpful resources and advice that I used to look for primary sources; however, I wanted a primary source from a specific character that I had learned about in class and from the readings. Therefore, this made my experience a little more difficult than it needed to be since I had to do a bit more digging to find the info that I wanted. At first, I had used the library to search for primary sources, but after a while of searching and not finding the information that I wanted I soon went to Google. I ended up finding a secondary source that contained primary sources. This article talked about Byron Kilbourn, which is the person who I wanted to find info on, and gave lots of background info on him and his impact on Milwaukee, but what most intrigued me was the primary source that the article contained which was an advertisement flyer. This flyer dated back to 1851 and was the perfect form of a primary source that I needed since it had a direct connection to the information on Byron Kilbourn as well as his overall impact on this city and its railroads.

No comments:

Post a Comment