Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Chuck Miller the Farmer

 Guest Post by Jesus Sanchez

For the Twitter re-enactment, I am planning on being a farmer. Given that it is difficult to pinpoint an individual farmer with significant connections to the theme, I will be portraying a general farmer or the mass of all farmers into a single character. Therefore, my farmer character will essentially be a fictional individual. The Twitter handle I will be using is @ChuckTheFarmr.

 The farmer that I will be portraying will be named Chuck Miller and his farm was located in southeastern Wisconsin. Chuck has a relatively nice sized plot of land of about 115 acres where he plants corn, wheat, potatoes and cranberries. As a farmer, he faced a lot of issues such as overproduction, high interests rates, as well as high transportation costs. And the low crop value was not making their life any easier. However, the creation of railroads made it much easier to transport their produce and livestock to and from the farm and into cities. However, railroads were monopolistic and charged an unfair amount to use them.

The following is the image I plan on using for my profile picture because it exemplifies what a farmer is and looks like in the 19th century.



No comments:

Post a Comment